COVID-19 UPDATE

We are now in the age of Covid-19.
With many of our volunteers and patrons being of a historic nature themselves, the Orangeburg County Historical Society will only be accepting in person visitors by appointment.

We may also be working remotely, and not be in the office during our normally scheduled hours.

To help protect our volunteers, please CALL (or email) AHEAD if you plan a visit to the Archives.

Until further notice, all patrons and researchers must wear masks when visiting the Salley Archives.
est 1953

Preserving, Protecting and Promoting Orangeburg County, South Carolina's Heritage

The Orangeburg County Historical Society is the caretaker of the history of Orangeburg County and their Salley Archives houses non-publicly held historical records of the Individuals, Families and Organizations of the County.

The Salley Archive building is located at the corner of Middleton and Bull Streets and is owned and operated by the Society. The archive was constructed in the 1960’s with seed funds designated by South Carolina’s first archivist and historian, Alex. S. Salley, Jr., who was a native of Orangeburgh.

Staffed by volunteers, The Salley Archives is open Tuesdays 9:00-12 noon, Wednesdays 9:00-3:00pm and the first Saturday of the month 10:00-2:00pm.

Genealogical files at the archives comprise information on more than 6000 Orangeburg County surnames. Historic documentation files are also maintained with information about the government, buildings, homes, churches, schools, businesses, organizations and activities of Orangeburgers.

A small collection of artifacts from Orangeburg’s varied past are also housed at the Archives.


Events Calendar