Preserving, Protecting and Promoting Orangeburg County, South Carolina's Heritage
The Orangeburg County Historical Society is the caretaker of the history of Orangeburg County and their Salley Archives houses non-publicly held historical records of the Individuals, Families and Organizations of the County.
The Salley Archive building is located at the corner of Middleton and Bull Streets and is owned and operated by the Society. The archive was constructed in the 1960’s with seed funds designated by South Carolina’s first archivist and historian, Alex. S. Salley, Jr., who was a native of Orangeburgh.
Staffed by volunteers, The Salley Archives is open Tuesdays 9:00-12 noon, Wednesdays 9:00-3:00pm and the first Saturday of the month 10:00-2:00pm.
Genealogical files at the archives comprise information on more than 1000 Orangeburg County surnames. Historic documentation files are also maintained with information about the government, buildings, homes, churches, schools, businesses, organizations and activities of Orangeburgers.
A small collection of artifacts from Orangeburg’s varied past are also housed at the Archives.